Over the years Herne Hill has grown an increasingly village type feel with a regular market, good local pubs, cafes and a pedestrianised central point. If you’ve been meaning to explore Herne Hill then why wait? Here’s my top 5 suggestions of things to do in Herne Hill-
- Brockwell Park – Admittedly this could provide five things to do in itself, what with the weekly Park Run, the lido and it’s cafe, a BMX track, hills perfect for sledging and tennis courts. Brockwell Park has everything you could look for in a local park, and much more besides.
- Local pubs – Over the years the pubs of Herne Hill have smartened themselves up and now provide a good offering for trendy local drinking with good food and various entertainment schedules. Try The Florence, The Commercial and The Prince Regent.
- Herne Hill Velodrome – Once the training venue for Bradley Wiggins the Herne Hill Velodrome has had a resurgence in popularity thanks to cycling’s increased profile. Inductions available for £6 with bike hire.
- Olley’s Fish & Chips – Award winning Fish & Chip shop Olley’s is a local establishment available both to eat in and take-away. The fish is delicious as are the mushy peas. Trivial Fact Alert – The owner once appeared on a Cilla Black game show and pictures of this adorn the walls!
- Herne Hill Market – This popular market is run by City & Country Farmers Markets and a wide range of fresh produce is on offer each and every Sunday. The Cheese and Olives are highly recommended.