I’m a big proponent of Streatham Hill. Not only is it a cheaper alternative for living when compared to popular nearby Brixton, Clapham and Balham, but it is also well served by public transport. There are buses going to just about anywhere in London you could need to get to and the train station serves you well going to both Victoria and London Bridge. But enough of those practicalities, there are also more and more cool places to eat and drink springing up along the high road. Each with a distinct character of their own they are making Streatham Hill a fun place to live with a growing community feel.
- Kennedys – This excellent Fish & Chip shop is handily located right near the station and the smell is often tempting you in when you get off the train. Kennedy’s is great for both traditional fish, chips and mushy peas but also has a variety of alternatives. Squid or prawns are cooked on the grill and served with chips and salad or if pies are more up your street you can get a variety served with gravy. Delicious!
- Pratts & Payne – Part of the Antic collection of South London bars and pubs who, amongst others, own the Balham Bowls Club and most recently the Effra Social. Pratts and Payne is the Streatham offering and comes complete with a sunny courtyard out the back. It’s a big pub and has been filled with quirky furniture and accessories. Entertainment comes in the form of acoustic nights, weekly quizzes and spin your own vinyl evenings!
- Bravi Ragazzi – Traditional Neapolitan wood fired sour dough pizzas, what more could you ask for? Well the prices are decent and the staff are friendly, so that’s a start. Off the main high street this small quirky pizza restaurant is well worth a visit. The best pizza South of the River perhaps??
- Thomson Deli – Opposite the station this Italian deli has a wide selection of both savoury and sweet treats. As I’ve often thought, and heard other customers exclaim, you just want to try everything! My current favourite are the lobster tails, but from experience you can’t go far wrong with anything you pick.
- The Hamlet – Cocktail bar and restaurant the Hamlet has a programme of happenings throughout the week with DJ’s on Friday and Saturday nights. You can also hire the downstairs ‘vinyl room’ free of charge for private events.
We’ve recently written a new post on Streatham Hill to look at some of the new great places which have opened. Read it here.