Whether you have just moved to South of the river or are looking for inspiration for new places to explore here I have compiled a list of some of my favourite things to do in south London. Give them a go, and if you like them, share!
- Battersea Park – This is my favourite park, not only in the south but the whole of London. There is so much to do here including a boating lake, zoo and tennis courts. However what I enjoy the most is just walking the riverside section from Chelsea Bridge to Albert Bridge, sitting, enjoying the views and general people watching. Battersea park also know how to put on a good event, with annual firework displays and my personal highlight, the Queen’s Jubilee party this year (2012) with amongst other things, a DJ set from Norman Jay
- Brixton Village – If you haven’t been here yet, go! Fascinating just to meander round and notice the new places which keep popping up. So many great places to eat and some cool shops too. My favourite is Seven, a rough and ready tapas come cocktail bar (all cocktails £5) with local art displayed upstairs. Other favs include Franco Manca and Honest Burger
- Thames Path – Plenty of river to pick from but I would recommend the Thames path walk from Putney to Barnes, with an obligatory pub drink at the end!
- Explore Dulwich – In Dulwich Village you can easily forget that you’re in London at all, visit the Crown and Greyhound, Dulwich Picture Gallery and Dulwich Park. Lordship Lane, a short walk away in East Dulwich is also worth a visit, The Blue Mountain Cafe on Northcross Road has quirky mosaic tiling outside and great cake
- Explore Clapham – But avoid the high street, instead head for Abbeville Road, Bistro Union is highly recommended
- South Bank – And really the whole stretch of river from Waterloo to Tower Bridge. Always something different going on here, with plenty of riverside view bars and restaurants
- Brixton Academy – I love this music venue, not just because of the slanted floors which makes for better views, just a great building and always a good atmosphere
- Wimbledon – Everyone should go here for the tennis at least once. Camping overnight for tickets optional but recommended
- Putney Boat Race – Annual Oxford v Cambridge boat race, but lets face it, another excuse to drink by the river